February 10, 2022
On February 8th, 2022 at 5:25 p.m., Premier Jason Kenney shared some critical information with Albertans in
regard to COVID-19 restrictions being lifted in a three-stage approach. We continue to take direction from the
Alberta Government, the Chief Medical Officer and the Minister of Education. Below we have highlighted the first
two stages that directly affect our Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 12 students and staff within our schools.
Effective Monday, February 14, 2022:
○ No masking is required for students (Pre Kindergarten - Grade 12) in school or on the bus. Adults
are still expected to wear masks.
○ Extracurricular activities:
■ All extracurricular activities will continue
■ Limit of spectators to a maximum 500
Effective Tuesday, March 1, 2022:
○ No masking required for adults in school buildings, any staff or students may continue to wear
masks if they wish.
○ Other school restrictions will be lifted
■ Cohorting of students and grades will end
■ Physical distancing will no longer be required
○ No limits on indoor or outdoor activities
Administrative Procedure 162 - Vaccination/Rapid Testing Requirement, is being reviewed and Alberta Education
and Alberta Health are providing guidance for the next step. We will inform all stakeholders as we move forward.
We are expecting official guidelines to be released by Friday, February 11, 2022 from Alberta Health and Alberta
Education about safety measures. Updates from RDCRS will follow soon after.
Montfort Centre 5210 - 61 Street Red Deer Alberta T4N 6N8
T: 403-343-1055 F: 403-347-6410 rdcrs.ca
Safety Measure Reminders:
● Washing hands/hand sanitizing continues to be one of the most effective ways to mitigate risks.
● Isolation rules continue if you have COVID-19 you are legally required to isolate for 10 days from the
symptom onset day. If vaccinated and symptom-free, you can return to school on day 6 but day 6-10
masking rules remain in place for everyone, students included.
● Masking is required for all staff and visitors in the buildings until March 1, 2022.
● Please ensure to do your daily Health Checklist and stay home when you are sick.
● Mid-day disinfecting continues.
● Oxivir is available to all staff members should they wish to do extra disinfecting throughout the day.
● K-12 continues to be mindful of physical distancing and cohorting where possible until March 1, 2022.
● RDCRS will continue to review operational shifts to online learning as required.
As a school division, we will continue to diligently practice hand hygiene, follow disinfecting protocols and
support all of our students and staff as they journey these changes. We recognize that for some, this is a
highly-anticipated change, and for others, these changes are met with worry and concern.
COVID-19 has placed strains and challenges on all of our families over the past two years. I find myself turning to
Ephessian 4:32, “[And] be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another as God has forgiven you in
We continue to work together to ensure safety and wellbeing for all. We do not know for certain what the next few
months may bring however, I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your unwavering support and
commitment to Catholic education when we truly need it most.
Kathleen Finnigan, Superintendent
Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools
February 10, 2022