January 18, 2022
As you know, the rapid spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant continues to pose serious staffing and operational challenges to the education system. Red Deer Catholic Regional School Division remains focused on the continuity in learning as a critical goal within our pandemic approach. If we are required to move to online learning, our first response, based on operational concerns, would be to shift to online learning for grades 7, 8, 9 if and when it becomes necessary. Shifting these particular grades to online learning will provide the Division with the necessary staffing resources to maintain in-person learning for all other grade levels.
As a proactive measure, we want to make you aware that if the need arises, we are prepared to move temporarily to online learning in the following schools/grades:
- St. Francis of Assisi Middle School (Grade 7 to Grade 9)
- St. Thomas Aquinas Middle School (Grade 7 to Grade 9)
- St. Patrick’s Community School (Grade 7 to Grade 9)
- École Camille J Lerouge School (Grade 7 to Grade 9)
- St. Marguerite Bourgeoys Catholic School (Grade 7 to Grade 9)
- St. Gregory the Great Catholic School (Grade 7 to Grade 9)
- École Mother Teresa School (Grade 7 to Grade 9: English and French classes)
If this becomes necessary, our decision to move to online learning in these grades will be based on three factors: (a) the ability of a school to have staff available to operate in-school classes; (b) attendance rates; (c) what is occurring within our local context and influencing our school division, such as health data. Short-term shifts will be limited to 10 calendar days.
As always, do not hesitate to reach out to your child’s school administrators for additional support or clarification. While this is a challenging time, we continue to trust in the Lord with all our hearts, leaning on each other for support. Thank you for your continued understanding.
Have a safe and blessed day. God bless.
Kathleen Finnigan, Superintendent of Schools
Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools